Filipinas are cute, funny, outgoing, and adventurous. They absolutely love meeting new people, and if you’re a foreigner then chances are you have a great shot at meeting the perfect, young, sweet, and loving Filipina of your dreams.
It should be no secret that women in the Philippines are some of the kindest, most humble, thoughtful, and rewarding women to be with – in the entire world. They make excellent girlfriends, love to care for their man, and many men travel all the way from North America just for a shot to find their other half here.
So, if you’re looking to meet the Filipina of your dreams, and curious as to what dating will be like, the dos, dont’s, and how to sweep her off her feet, then read on!
1. First off, and this is very important; any notion that you have of Asian (or at least Filipina) “mail order brides” you should wipe from your mind entirely. While this was never even a possibility in the past, nor today – outside of arranged marriage which is illegal – it won’t be in the future either.
In fact, even when beautiful, single, Filipina women could be found in catalogs decades ago, it was to pay an agency for getting in contact with her to see if you were a good fit, not to “sell” her to you, and then mail her on a plane to your doorstep.
Therefore, it’s best you don’t talk about things like this in the Philippines, as it can be offensive, or even hurt your Filipina girlfriend’s feelings. It is a sensitive topic, and at best will create an awkward situation – so focus on the good, and don’t discuss things like this.
2. Filipinas not only like to be “pampered”, and receive nice gifts or special outings together, but they also demand respect. And though subtle, rest assured that if you don’t give it to her, and be chivalrous to her as she deserves, then you can expect her to lose interest and look elsewhere – or worse, perhaps only care about you for money and stereotype you as just another foreigner looking to get in a “Filipina experience”.
Speaking of cared for, this is a big reason why older foreigners are so well liked, respected, and admired by most, beautiful, and single Filipinas – because they know you can be a provider for them. Which, for many traditional or “old school” men is by no means a problem.
After all, Filipinas make excellent mothers (read more about this below), wives, and are great at cleaning, cooking, and being there to support you through your endeavors.
3. Don’t be too “touchy feely” with your Filipina date, or girlfriend in public. They don’t like it, and if you really want to impress them and make them happy, ask first, or just give a simple kiss on the cheek – or even better hand to show her your affection and that you know how to be romantic.
4. Show a genuine interest in your Filipina date’s life, her family, friends, and ask about where she envisions her future to be. Keep in mind, family is nearly the most important part of her life, other than God for those that are religious (most are Catholic or Christian), so it’s important that you show an interest in, are likable, and respectful towards those that mean the most to her – family.
5. Going off the last piece of advice, never, ever insult her religion, or make insults and inappropriate comments about God or church. Even if you’re an atheist, it’s best to keep quiet as to avoid insulting, offending her, or making her feel bad – and what kind of boyfriend would want to do that? Save the politics for another day.
6. Offer to carry your Filipinas bags, or other luggage, hold the doors for her, and always let her enter a place that you’re visiting first. Doing this will not only show respect and consideration, but will also demonstrate your willingness to adapt to her culture, her wants, needs, desires, and what she’s grown accustomed to by other men or through observing her own family and their relationships.
7. Always ask your Filipina date or lover how she is doing and if she is okay. Most are very good at hiding their problems and being optimistic, bright people that will often not share their troubles.
Even if you cannot help her with her problems, it’s always nice to show interest, genuine care, and be a shoulder for her to lean on – which will also bring you closer.
8. Filipinas are such positive women that they are likely to do best with a man that is likewise positive and happy. So, rest assured that the best Filipina women will be optimistic, smile a lot, and should make you smile too. Don’t be afraid to laugh a lot, or make jokes, just be careful what kind of jokes you make.
If in doubt, or you’re still getting to know each other avoid jokes that may be offensive, and instead just focus on laughing a lot and enjoying your life and “bonding” time together.
9. Be thoughtful with any gifts you buy her, and no matter how large or small, thoughtfulness will always exceed money. Therefore, keep in mind that typically Filipinas are anything but materialistic, but rather quite humble, and would much rather you make something for her or buy something relevant to her interests – or needs.
Filipinas absolutely love chocolates, and chances are she probably knows of more brands and types than you! They also adore stuffed animals, and other sweet, “simpler” gifts.
10. Last but not least, invite her friends to come and hang out with you, and encourage her to feel comfortable in doing so. This will give her an opportunity to let her friends or girlfriends provide feedback on you, which you better believe is significant, and can very well lay down the framework for her trusting you, or taking the relationship to the next level in the future.